Sunday, June 30, 2013

0[]o *gasp*...*erhem* The Tale of the Samurai Battle Festival

To begin w/ I found out about this cool Samurai Festival and that people get to dress in traditional old armor and fight if they sign up on a list before the event. But sadly I didn't make the list of people to be samurai in the battle (they had a long waiting list from last year). Despite that, I decided to be adventurous and drive the 3 hrs to the battle w/ only directions written on some scrap paper. I made it there, with some help from signs and out of luck/good sense of direction b/c some signs said to go one way but then never showed up again to tell you to turn -.-.....and I found a place to park in a parking lot of a store. Normally they frown upon parking there for other events, but they were allowing it since this was such a big event. The old guy who was the volunteer to help people park in spots that were ok seemed a bit worried about me being a gaijin girl by myself and when I asked him if it was ok to park and where the event was at he was very meticulous about giving me details and kept asking if I understood and was very kind. Then I went to the area and I think I saw a greatdane off in the distance, and of course I saw lots of people dressed for the battle. It was really neat to see the foot soldiers, ninjas (yes they had ninjas :D), archers, leaders and such all decked in traditional-styled armor/clothes. 
     While there I found a decent viewing spot (it was already crowded when I arrived).  I also so an older woman that was a little peculiarly dressed and was carrying around a doll....but that's beside the point. Anyhoo, I saw a few other foreigners but they walked passed me and didn't really notice. G ranted I didn't say "hey" and wave like a dork, but I did smile and the one that saw me just looked away and started talking with the others in the group. They gathered a bit of a ways away from where I was but I could still see them from my spot. One time while looking around --crowd watching during a break in the battle-- I saw some of them in the group look at me and I smiled and started to wave but they immediately looked away when they saw that I spotted them. Then after the battle I walked around closer to the battle grounds. I saw some of the other foreigners that were fighting (and mind you a lot of them are ALTs like myself) and went up and said "Hello" and they smiled but didn't say anything. Instead they just went on w/ a conversation w/ the person next to them. I saw an older lady (40s or 50s) who was a foreigner and I smiled and said hello to her. She was nice enough to say hello back and smile, but then she looked to the distance and said to herself (but still aloud) "oh the international group seems to be gathering" and then walked off. 
     So I was a little perturbed that I drove 3 hrs to go to an event that I was told to "by all means come we'd love to have more foreigners at the event, even if it's just spectating. Can’t wait to see you there", and then when I go to said event I couldn't get the time of day from any of the other foreigners. Not that I was expecting the time, but at least a short: ‘’hello, oh you're from ___, I'm from ___,’’ ‘‘glad you made it to this event’’, ‘‘this event is a lot of fun isn't it’’, or a ‘‘oh hey another foreigner that's cool’’....or something. But oh well. I didn't let it dampen my spirits b/c it was a really neat event and after leaving the other foreigners that didn't want to chat with me I passed some junior or senior high school boys who---in their typical rowdy jhs/shs boy manner---said "oh, hello! Nice to meet you. I'm happy/hungry/hot. Goodbye!" So that was a good laugh to have them randomly say stuff in English while walking past me. And the view on the way to the event is absolutely lovely. It's a mountain road that cuts through mountains and over rivers and dams and small mountain towns and small waterfalls (like maybe a foot wide if that, but really tall/long) and whatnot. It was gorgeous. So all in all I’d say that adventure was a victory and it was a nice festival.  Oh, and the guy who "died" and stuck his sword in a way so that it looked like he was stabbed and the other one who died but kept kicking their feet around in boredom where extra amusing to see^^. And a nice---though long-- drive with good music is always nice^^. But yes, that was that festival. Later will be the kite battle festival, my parents stay here and some other festival I think? I think there's another one....oh and the amazing Buddhist Temple and Mountain temple/shrines that I saw just this weekend 

No comments:

Post a Comment